May 17, 2018
Demolition work is set to resume on a dilapidated Llandudno landmark.
Opus North will restart work on the Tudno Castle Hotel site in the coming weeks.
Work on the £10 million redevelopment project was halted soon after starting last year because the site was found to be too much in disrepair.
Opus North have since gone away and come up with a new plan to fully demolish and rebuild the Tudno Castle Hotel using the original facade.
The new proposals received the final go-ahead earlier this year from Conwy County Borough Council’s planning committee and Cadw – the Welsh Government’s historic environment service working to protect the historic environment for Wales.
While an official date is still yet to be set, Opus North’s James Farnaby said work wasn’t far away from starting.
Mr Farnaby said: “We are keen to start work on site.
“The Council is currently finalising some paperwork and as soon as that is done, we expect construction to get underway.”
The redeveloped Tudno Castle Hotel will include 63-bedroom hotel, five restaurants and a space for a retail store.
The Victorian Society has campaigned against a new look Tudno Castle Hotel since it was first proposed.
Anna Shelley, The Victorian Society’s Conservation Adviser, said: “We objected to the 2007 application for total demolition (which was refused) and the current façade retention scheme which has failed, so we really didn’t want to lose the building and tried everything we could to protect it.”
“Now that the building has been compromised and is in danger of collapse it seems we have reached the end of the road, but it is crucial that as much of the original building material is retained as possible to be used in the rebuild, as is recommended by the council in their approval.”
Author: Patrick Glover
Link to article: https://bit.ly/2Ip5eEr